View Single Post
Old 07-17-2016, 06:22 PM
smorz
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2016
Default thoughts on sick bank

Word is that there is an AIP on the sick leave.

The details:
-rolling 365 lookback for sick usage
-no self verification (for the first 100 hrs)

Why this is bad:
-this policy would make sick leave more restrictive. Under this policy, if you were to have one large event (100hrs or close) you will have to get a doctors note for any sick usage for the NEXT YEAR. How many of you go to the doctor for a head cold or allergies? How about an ankle sprain? Clogged sinuses? Ever go to a doctor to diagnose a headache? That may be the requirement with no self verification.

Why self verification needs to stay:
-It is easy to meet 100 hrs with one event. How many pilots have you met that have back pain? Kidney stones? other large events? It could easily happen to anyone. If you were to have one of these with the supposed AIP, you will be revisiting the doctor for the next year no matter how small of an ailment you may have.

Sick leave is already restrictive enough
-Alaska pays out a percentage of banked sick time upon retirement. They also allow sick usage for life events with CPO approval.
-American has a "sick if needed" feature for reserves. Basically reserves are dinged on their sick bank if they weren't going to be assigned a trip.
-SWA doesn't have to verify at all!
-UPS/FedEx have paternity/maternity/adoption policies where you can use your sick bank!
-UPS also does a annual payout on excess banked time
-there is more out there (feel free to add to the thread)

Company viewpoint (of that I disagree with)
-The company has looked at how much sick time usage has paid out. It basically comes down to the bean counters trying to eliminate or reduce the cost.

What I'd like to see ALPA do:
-ALPA position should be showing them the cost savings we give them by not using all of our sick time. We do not need any additional concessions. In fact, I'd love to see sick usage more user friendly. We can pick up trips via iCrew, we should be able to call in sick via iCrew. There is no need to sit on hold and waste scheduling's time to call in sick. Its a win for both sides.