View Single Post
Old 03-10-2006, 05:48 PM
ubermich

I got an aviation degree and do I regret it? No. When I was in your same position senior year of high school a lot of the instructors told me to major in something other than aviation as a backup plan; something useful, like finace. Then I talked to someone who hires and fires people for a large corporation. He told me that after a couple years of being out of college that if a person has no real world experience in that field, that he consideres the degree obsolete. One of my dad's clients who holds a similar position told him the same thing. So this meant to me that if I majored in finance and CFIed for a while then went on to a regional, then lost my medical, that I would be in the exact same place as I would be if I majored in aviation or history or dance.

The thing I do regret is spending so much money to get my degree. Most guys on here will tell you to go to a state school. I couldn't agree more. Don't get too far in debt because once you're a CFI, it starts to really hurt.

And one more thing, I was close friends with two guys who went more than 100K into debt at Embry-Riddle. Both of them took jobs outside of aviation after they graduated in order to pay off their loans, although one of them also CFIed part time.

Last edited by ubermich; 03-10-2006 at 05:52 PM.