View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 02:46 PM
hindsight2020
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Center seat, doing loops to music

Originally Posted by WhiskeyDelta View Post
I still love my job but as a commuter for the more than 10 years I've been in the 121 business, the last thing I want to do is pilot an airplane before or after work. I say suck it up and let someone else fly you to/from work.
What a terribly despondent view of flying. Proof positive commuting makes this job diametrically different than driving to work. If my flying job ever elicited aversion to flying recreationally, I'd quit and do something else.

Break break

As an aircraft owner I have commuted to work via GA. The main takeaway for me was that it had to be done within driving distance to be on the safe side, as weather affects dispatch. The other issue as others have highlighted is the parking costs. Having a jalopy and parking in a satellite airport ideally without a tower but with self serve fuel would be ideal to avoid tiedown fees. Otherwise you'd have to negotiate with an FBo. It's a nice alternative to driving, but if you can't do the commute via car within 6 hours drive, I wouldn't rely on GA as a primary.

If and when I get on with my carrier of preference I intend to occasionally commute via GA. but that would be a 4.5 hour drive so it's doable as a backup. Aircraft ownership is not cheap but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Again if my pro flying ever tired me from flying recreationally, id quit the airline gig. Good luck to ya.