View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 12:44 PM
nsavandal09
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2016

Military and regional pilots all sacrifice something. Regional guys are making 25k a year and that sucks, I signed up for 12 years of my life minimum and have had to do crappy desk jobs 60+ hours a week and spend 6 years in a crappy location so far, plus time away from the family which can suck too. I think I made the right choice with the AF, but to each their own.

I've had the chance to meet and work with incredible people flying a great mission with awesome deployments and I can still punch at 12 years and get hired by a decent airline and get my military fix with the reserves or guard if flying ILS's ever gets old.

I love getting the chance to see and do things that nobody else gets the opportunity and I've been lucky enough to stumble into good deals that let me do that, and regionals will never match that.

If it's money that is the #1 factor realize that seniority is huge and the military will lock you into a commitment that currently would be 10 years plus 1-2 after commissioning to graduate. That's 2028 and hiring is likely to start trickling down. So when you finally get your number everyone ahead of you will be slightly older so you probably will have a lesser QOL and lower paycheck than if you got hired sooner, until the last couple years of your career when the older guys get forced out. Everyone has their own priorities and we all make our choices, hopefully this helps. Good luck!