View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 03:00 PM
nmarconato
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016
Position: In LAX? PM me!
Default Infinite scrolling: thumbs up or down?

Hey All, hope the weekend was good. Thanks everyone for the conversation.

So, infinite scrolling has been on for a couple of weeks on the mobile version of the site and I admit we could have done a better job at rolling this feature out.

And we have been pretty busy w/ fixing a number of issues in hope to turn things around. The good news is that the desktop and mobile versions appear stable and we can start gathering more data about the behaviors of our users and their interactions w/ the forums.

But I'd also like to hear everyone out again.
I have the following main question for all the users (and especially for the ones who have a reported a less-than-ideal experience on mobile): could you please provide an update about your browsing of APC on your cell phone today?

Is it better than a week ago? Or worse, or same?... Thumbs up, or thumbs down to infinite scrolling?

Have the fixes that we have pushed live after launch improved your mobile experience, or do you still think that your experience would be easier if we reinstated the pagination feature and turned infinite scrolling off?

If pagination is better, can you please elaborate when (in which occasions) you usually browse APC on your cell phone, what activities/actions do you happen to do, and why pagination makes it easier than infinite scrolling?

Here is a recap of the expected behavior on mobile and its rationale:

Logged IN users:
- Read thread > User is taken to the first post, post #1
- Unread thread > User is taken to the first UNREAD post

Rationale: to provide the most relevant content to an experienced user of the site

Caveat:
If you are using mobile a lot and you are a power user of the community, I would suggest that you mark all threads as read by selecting the "Mark Forums Read" link, in the drop down menu called "Quick Links" on the right hand side of the navbar.

Logged OUT users:
- Read thread > User is taken to the first post, post #1
- Unread thread > User is taken to the first post, post #1

Rationale: to provide the most relevant content to a less experienced user of the site, who tends to need more context to familiarize w/ the conversation

Anything else? Thanks All for your help on this, I will keep everyone posted.

N