View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 04:42 AM
skydisaster
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009
Position: First Officer

Originally Posted by MOGuy View Post
Lot of negativity sprinkled with a little bit of positivity. Pretty daunting for someone trying to find out what it's really like to work at NJ. With that being said. It's doesn't seem that bad guys. If quality of life is what our after, a predictable work schedule, and descent pay it sounds pretty good. Yeah you'll never make the cash and work a little harder than at a Legacy or LLC but if you don't want to move or worry about commuting. Bingo. I get that the 10 year upgrade (correct me if I'm wrong. Shorter? Longer?) is frustrating, but hey I knew 10 year regional FO not even making half what a 4 year NJ was making. So what if your 30 yrs old now and by 40 making 130k (-) soft pay, not bad.

I was a 7 year FO at a regional. It sucked. I now work for an 8/6 operator and and it's already a million times qol increase. Believe me y'all got it way better pay and qol-wise plus the backing of a union than I do at my operator and in my book they are still pretty top notch. Oh and I don't get 2 weeks vacation until yr 5! I'm in a spot where I'll be able to go onto a Major carrier but honestly the thought of having to move to an area where I don't really want to live or commute quite frankly disgust me. I love being home based and having a set schedule. I can tell you if I choose to make a career of this style of flying NJ is where im going to aim for. Although at the current millisecond in my brain there is a battle going on over $$$ at the majors and qol fractional. ��

Oh one quick question for NJ foke. Can you all swap days/schedules with other similar pilots schedules if you need time off? Also can you begin/end rotation wherever you like or must it be in your home base?

I will agree that the ability to live where you want is huge with this job. I will also agree that the ability to have a fixed schedule that I know months in advanced is also a huge plus. However, I will also say that I am more exhausted after a tour at NetJets than anything else I have done. The constant flips from early to late and back combined with the constant time zone changes and multiple legs per day will wear you down quickly. Disclaimer: Some fleets are significantly better or worse than others.

Schedule swapping is allowed within certain parameters. You can also request a "tour slide". I have requested three slides this year and have been denied all three times. Others have had better results. You can request alternate travel to another destination at the end of your tour. You can then use up to 90% of the ticket value that they purchased for you to travel wherever you want. You always have to start your tour in your base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk