Old 07-27-2016, 09:28 AM
1st overnite
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Default FedEx-new contract-baseline/established fare

In the old contract, I would always wait to deviate the front end until the email came saying that Global Travel had issued the ticket. That way in case the flight they listed in the pairing was sold out, they would possibly rebuild the trip with potentially more pay. For the back end DH, I would wait until I landed at the final destination to deviate. That way if something went wrong, I'd still be on the trip. For example, a few years ago we ended in EWR, a nor'easter moved in and pretty much all commercial flights were cancelled the next day. Capt. was stressed because he had already deviated. I didn't, so I got additional pay and I was covered for the extra hotel since the pairing was extended. But now with the new contract, if I'm reading this correctly in 8.C.2.b.i-I, if you deviate before the month starts, you get the higher of the baseline and established fare. If you wait, you get the established fare, which may be lower that the baseline fare. So potentially you might have a lower deviation bank than you thought when the month started. So I have 2 questions; am I reading this correctly? And if this is the case, is it better to deviate before the month starts or roll the dice and wait for Global Travel to issue the ticket or until you land and the final destination on the trip? While it is rare to deal with a nor'easter or other weather at the end of the trip, it does occasionally happen and in those instances, I'd be glad if I didn't deviate.