View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 12:10 PM
LakeshoreFlyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2010
Position: A320/CA

Depends. You want to get hired at Spirit or Frontier? You'd be best off going to a job fair. Some carriers use job fairs as the first step in the interview process while others don't pull from them as much (i.e. American). That being said, it never hurts to network. The $500 you might spend on attending Women in Aviation might hurt your wallet though.

Originally Posted by Sliceback View Post
I asked 10-12 guys that I've worked with if they'd contact their new hire classmates and ask if they went to job fairs and if yes how many? Got over 60 responses.

About 1/3 didn't attend job fairs. Two thirds did. Of the 2/3's that did attend job fairs the average was 2.0 job fairs. Military guys averaged 1.7 job fairs and civilian guys averaged 2.6 job fairs. But several civilian guys attended 4, 5, 6 or even 8 job fairs before getting hired so the typical average would be less than 2.6.

HR probably only sees 10-15% of the candidate pool per year yet that 10-15% might be getting 2/3's of the new hire slots. Granted a limited pool (60+) but there seems to be some success linked to job fairs.