View Single Post
Old 07-30-2016, 06:26 AM
HTBH
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2013

Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
Flt ops has put out several times that the 747 block hours for summer of 17 are almost the same as this summer. As crews bid off they have to be replaced to meet the contractual minimums.
Got it. And I'm legitimately trying to understand this, not just throwin stones and wanting to argue, or complaining about being junior. I actually have had a great schedule this summer.

I understand we have some sort of contractual minimum and I understand that the company loses more money if the 747 doesn't go vs the M88. I'm just trying to figure out how the 747 is at contractual mins during the summer months when they have several days with 6 required and 30 available (which should only get better after the summer is over). While on the 320 in NYC, for example, they have a dozen days in August already where they have either zero or one reserve person available at all and not a single day with coverage. Where are the contractual mins for that and other fleets? I know we are hiring a lot for this last AE and that's great, but where was the hiring to cover the contractual requirements for the summer that has already passed, or the summer of 2015 or 2014? Shouldn't the contractual minimums for reserve cover all bases and all fleets? The answer I usually hear is "well they are junior bases." Ok..., so we can't manage that or have a requirement for that as well? And if the company isn't meeting the contract requirements for these "junior" fleets and bases; does ALPA lodge a complaint or do we just manage it with maxing out the reserves and having guys fly their 6th+ green slip for the month instead of actually hiring more people? Again I'm not trying to start an argument, just legitimately trying to figure out why we have a system where we get the contract honoured on one end ("meet the contractual minimums"), while on the other end they, and we, don't seem to care or back up the contractual obligations ("it's a junior fleet").