View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 08:08 AM
FlewNavy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Originally Posted by BDGERJMN View Post
You're assuming the bonus was a carrot for folks to stay in in the first place. I don't know a single person that put the bonus in their calculus to stay in/get out. I would classify it as a 'nice to have' if you're staying in. The idea that the retention bonus is just that, a retention bonus is a false assumption by both BUPERS and AFPC in my opinion. Dudes get out because they want a change, want to do something else or simply want a better/different QOL. Either way, if the bonus is at all a carrot that the personnel commands think it is, its no where near enough in today's external hiring climate.
I remember a brief from PERS43 that basically said the bonus had been studied and that it didn't impact retention numbers. Those that stay in would do so regardless of the bonus and those that get out can't be swayed with money.

I took the devil's money because I knew I was staying in for 20 based on enlisted time + initial winging obligation. I am going to walk at 20 years and 1 day if I can even though I'm leaving from a staff tour.