View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 08:48 AM
banana380
Standing by to Stand By

Joined APC: Jul 2016
Position: Holding

Then there is the Navy option. If I had known I would end up going Navy and knew about the program, BDCP is the way to go. They pay for your college, no ROTC BS to deal with, give you a stipend, then you go to OCS when you're finished. I went to OCS with a couple of these guys and it's one of the best kept secrets out there. I would look for the number for an Officer Recruiter, completely different than a regular recruiter. They typically won't tell you about officer recruiting, because they want you for their own quota.

FWIW I've always heard a higher percentage of the Navy flies than the AF. If you want to build time for the airlines you should be able to get into P-3's or P-8's easily enough. Most people want tailhook, and about 25% get it. The rest is split between multi-engine and rotary. About 50% go rotary, leaving the last 25% or so going multi.

Then again you'd be committed to 8 years after your winging, so 9.5ish total. Food for thought, and best of luck to you.

FWIW I'd also caution against getting married straight out of HS... People tend to develop into considerably different people between then and their late 20's, often not at the same rate or same direction as their partner. Ask me how I know.