View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Otterbox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by banana380 View Post
Then there is the Navy option. If I had known I would end up going Navy and knew about the program, BDCP is the way to go. They pay for your college, no ROTC BS to deal with, give you a stipend, then you go to OCS when you're finished. I went to OCS with a couple of these guys and it's one of the best kept secrets out there. I would look for the number for an Officer Recruiter, completely different than a regular recruiter. They typically won't tell you about officer recruiting, because they want you for their own quota.

FWIW I've always heard a higher percentage of the Navy flies than the AF. If you want to build time for the airlines you should be able to get into P-3's or P-8's easily enough. Most people want tailhook, and about 25% get it. The rest is split between multi-engine and rotary. About 50% go rotary, leaving the last 25% or so going multi.

Then again you'd be committed to 8 years after your winging, so 9.5ish total.
Don't forget that if you don't go tail hook, your final 2-3 years will be spent on a non flying boat tour and you'll likely end up at the regionals as a result... and if you select helicopters you'll likely end up at the regionals for a good bit regardless

I was in almost 11 years before I could get out thanks to 26 months to get through flight school and a mandatory 12 months on a ship for being forced to take orders a month before I could have resigned (the detailers shortened my Shore tour to prevent me from hitting the 12 month mark prior to my MSR where I could resign in order to send me to a ship).

Personally, I wouldn't go active duty with the intent of being an airline pilot these days. You'd get their quicker by going to a regional with a partnership agreement...Guard and reserves would still be worth it though.

If you want to be a helicopter pilot, or just want to serve in the military then by all means...