View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 04:53 PM
Birddog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2009

Fellow Houston Pilots,

The Captain Representative you elect will help shape our opener for section six negotiations with the company. With a decade of scheduling experience, I will bring a unique perspective to the table and will make sure your priorities are heard. Below are a few issues, among many, that need to be addressed.

PBS improvements- We have many free resources available for pilots to improve their PBS bid, yet many still feel the need to pay for bidding help. We need an improved bidding interface, more bidding options and we need to move the bidding window earlier so pilots can plan their lives.

Trip Trade improvements-What PBS can't do for us, Trip Trade should be able to fix. Many of the improvements we need are things that we have had in our contracts already. Returning to a "bad day worse day" logic, improved IT to track reserves in silo (transparent to CM and pilots alike), and relaxing coverage limitations on the first TT run of the month are all examples of options we used to have and were proven effective in past contracts. These are all things that the company, and the pilots, have seen work in the past. They should be brought back.

Reserve Improvements-Reserve improvements need to be at the top of the MEC's agenda. Rolling of days off and abuse of SCs must be reigned in so pilots have some predictability in their lives. Automation enhancements are needed to reduce or eliminate contact with scheduling where feasible.

L-CAL LTD Fund-An issue that is near and dear to many Houston pilots is the L-CAL LTD fund. I was in favor of the LC171 resolution that sought the return of those monies to the plan participants when we originally sent that resolution to the MEC, and I am firmly committed to returning that money to the plan participants as soon as possible. Another common question about the L-CAL LTD funds regards their distribution. Section 12.2 paragraph (a) of the plan document very clearly states that any distribution from the fund can only go to the pilots that paid the premiums (the plan participants). That is set in stone, as it should be. You can access the Plan document on the MEC R&I website at http://ual.alpa.org/LinkClick.aspx?file ... &mid=29533

Your union representatives constantly deal with issues that effect your work life. Some of those issues, as a line pilot, you might only encounter once or twice in a career. Others might effect your work life on a daily basis. You deserve a Captain Representative that will do the research on ALL those issues, whether they are minor or complicated. With that knowledge your rep can make informed decisions and, in turn, inform and educate you so that we can each make the best decisions possible about our careers. I pledge to do just that if you elect me.

I would be honored to continue serving all of you as Captain Representative. Please vote today at http://www3.alpa.org/VoteNet/tabid/6263/Default.aspx.

Brad Hutchens
LC 171 Interim Captain Representative