View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Archie Bunker
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Brown 747-400

Originally Posted by Sr. Barco View Post
Can anyone tell me what the schedules are like out of ONT? I hear reserve guys never fly. Is that true? Anyone live in the So Cal area and make the drive? Feel free to PM me with any other pertinent info about the company etc. Thank you so much in advance.

S.B.
Barco,

In ONT, we fly domestic, Pac Rim, and to Hawaii. Pac Rim and Hawaii flights usually go pretty senior, while the domestic trips are usually left for the rest of us. As for reserve, I've seen that quite a few senior guys bid "A" reserve (which is on call from midnight to noon)....they don't seem to fly all that much.

I am a new hire here (hired in Jan), and I was able to hold a line on my very first bid in the domicile. There are many lines that have trips that begin and end with commercial deadhead legs, so I start the trip flying out of my hometown (San Diego), instead of ONT. If the cost of my ticket costs less flying out of SAN, then I put the remainder into my "travel bank." If a later flight costs more out of SAN than ONT, the company makes up the difference out of my travel bank.

Concerning reserve.....callout is 1+45. I stood reserve following IOE for a couple of weeks (prior to my first bid), and it was pretty good. I was on for 15 days, then off for 13. Never in my prior life as a legacy airline pilot did I have 13 days off in a row. If you live fairly close to ONT, then reserve would be awesome. Since I live close to downtown SD, I'm kinda pushing the envelope on the 1+45 callout time. Personally, I prefer the predictability of a line vs reserve. Any other questions?