View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016, 11:37 PM
Albief15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Originally Posted by 9GulfTango View Post
Hi all, I am about to begin my senior year at a large aviation university. I am a commercial aviation major and will have CPL AMEL/ASEL + CFI/I when I graduate. Up to this point my plan was always to go the flight instruction to regional route. Recently I have begun to reconsider however. The chance to serve and experience the type of flying that the military does is starting to appeal to me. Like everyone else, my preference is fighters if I can make it, but flying multi engine heavies would also be fine. Helicopters also have a certain appeal, but my ultimate goal is the major airlines. I have several questions about the ANG, USAF and USN. Firstly the air guard.

I understand that you simply apply to the specific unit. If selected, you attend UPT and have a guaranteed airframe, correct?

Yes.
What is the best way to be selected?

Go to Baseops and read up on the UPT selection process. Best bet is to visit units you want to join on their open house/pilot board events

Are fighter units more competitive than airlift units?
Typically, hell yes.
What happens to the pilots if the unit changes missions to UAS operations?
It depends. You are probably ****ed. Some folks may follow the jets to other bases, some won't

As far as USAF and USN/Marines, what is the usual breakdown of airframes out of primary training?
I will defer to my Gold Winged brethren

And can I attend OCS with a guaranteed flight slot?
Yes. More importantly I would not attend without one

Or will I have to compete for it in some way?
If unit sponsors you the slot is yours. If you ignore my advice above and join Active duty, at times there are slots available you can wrestle by doing well. It depends on needs of the service at the time. I wouldn't go to OCS hoping for that however...
Which one has a better chance of flying something with a pointy nose?
ANG/Reserve will be your best overall shot. That said, I flew the F-15 for 15 years after flying the OV-10, and a host of my contemporaries off active duty got fighters as well. It comes down to your performance and needs of the Air Force at the time.
And lastly as a general question, how much will my current experience help me in flight training and with selection?
Any expereince will help with your selection. The debate is how much does your GA flying help in UPT. It helped me in primary, but by T-38s was a non-factor. I know a guy who went with 4000+ hours including lear time and he was DG in his C-130 track. I also know a guy who had 12 hours GA and graduated number one in my class, and later went to weapons school in the F-15C. I generally think more experience gives confidence and helps to a point, but more important is ability, adaptability, and knowing when to flush what you know to adopt the new material you are being taught.

Thanks for your help ahead of time! I appreciate any answers you can give me
Do a thread search. Lots of wannabes have asked similar questions, and there is a ton off good info (and some BS too) on these and other boards. Its a great time to go serve, and we need good guys to pick up the torch and run with it. Just don't forget you are going to be a solider with wings, not a pilot getting "checked out" in the F-16. Adopt the warrior's attitude, and you will do well in Hercs, C-17s, F-22s, or whatever you end up flying...