View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 07:51 PM
baseball
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Originally Posted by NoDeskJob View Post
Always appreciate the words of wisdom Albie.
I'm struggling with this situation now...
Working at DL for about 6 months. Currently driving to work in ATL, but wife's job will keep us moving for the next 6 years. So this non-commute is only temporary. My friends at Fedex seem to be loving life, and your contract looks good. If LAX weren't so senior, I probably would have applied yesterday, but we want to live in SoCal eventually and I know LAX is senior at FedEx.
You don't happen to have a seniority calculator to plug in a hypothetical DOH to figure out how far up the ladder one could rise, do you?
A while back, my wife's job paid most of the bills. We chose to live where we lived based on her salary. Once my salary and my seniority got more in line with our family's situation we made some tough choices.

My advice is to weigh out your short term pain with your long term possibilities at DL. Everyon'es tolerance for pain is both an individual experience and their tolerance level is different. Only you and your family can decide if the long term possibilities are worth the short term difficulties.

It made it all better when I decided to be the one who took a back seat and gave deference to my wife's career. It's much different now. 3 kids, and 25 years later my wife doesn't work any more.

I have been in one base for about 20 years now. Once the kids are all gone, we will likely move. However, if it hadn't worked out, it would have worked out. We would have made it work out. Allot of people would be happy to have our "problems."

No way to figure what the seniority calculators will predict. Those things don't account for mergers, bankruptcies, or world wide security/financial dilemma's.