Thread: United or Delta
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2016, 05:32 PM
Spudhauler
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: Taxi Driver

Originally Posted by Aquaticus View Post
You can wear business casual to both airlines but you will be in a distinct minority at delta. You can expect a shirt and tie most days. Their training is done at headquarters with bigwigs running around and popping into training. They have completely different cultures that rears its head in the most unlikely places. From multiple jump seats and multiple sources they inspire the people who are tiring to fly with IMO. They have a lot of great people but every airline has them. Have you ever ended a 4 day and realized it was fun? The guy next to you was probably professional, easy going, and friendly. Calling ops for first class meals doesn't have to be a 10 seconds to midnight nuclear launch like some pilot types treat minor issues. Just look at the interview. A two day interview with psych eval, reflex testing, and pointless knowledge test that anyone can prepare for; all to hire the same people other airlines are selecting in an hour ordeal. The email to interview at United is 4 paragraphs and two hyperlinks and Delta's was almost 4 pages.

The culture difference is very real. Bases were more important to me but I did evaluate the culture before deciding. You may not like their fuel or 88-717 decisions but they are out earning United to the tune of 100's of millions of dollars over the past 6 years.

I'm a civilian who's been at Delta for 16 years. By and large I've enjoyed myself a great deal, and I've never seen anyone wear a tie in training. I've got no idea what UAL is like, but we have a great bunch of men and women working here. A few odd ducks, but every airline with 10000 plus pilots will have a few.