View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 05:09 PM
wickedsprint
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Spam Can
Default I think I'm ruined for airplanes...

I took a helicopter lesson on Sunday...oh my gosh never have I had so much fun in an aicraft. INSANE control sensitivity...but also very responsive. Took me abut 5-10 minutes before I could fly it straight and level and do turns to a heading..etc. Hovering was a very humbling experience. I for the most part could keep it hovering for about 5-10 seconds before it went to hell..winds at 10-15 and 7100' density altitude at the field didn't help. One of the benefits though is that as soon as you become a CFI at around 200hrs total time..you are immediatly teaching students in something that is useful for your time building, unlike having to compete/wait for multi students. Downside being it seems less likely to get hired by your school in some of the schools I have talked to as they alreadyhave enough instructors(smaller market)..so you usually have to re-locate after the ratings it seems..but otherwise easy to find a CFI heli job if you don't mind moving.A lot less pay for the Holy Grail jobs compared to a major airline too.

I am absolutely hooked..nothing like flying (legally) at 400 feet over a city with no doors on a summer day.