Old 08-29-2016, 09:58 AM
krudawg
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: 747 Captain, retired

Originally Posted by Regularguy View Post
The elephant isn't about being "legal" according to the FOM it's about not having alcohol in your blood when the pilot steps into the airport and begins their fiduciary duties.

When I started the FOM had a 24 hour rule and yet occasionally there were problems. BTW the 24 rule was eliminated when a scab was turned in on an international trip by a striker.

The point is there's enough time to enjoy an adult beverage or two and yet these two, out of how many others, were nailed. The problem isn't the UK, the 12 or 8 hour rules it's the pilot who made a bad choice. We need to make sure it's not me. But of course after several pints and a night cap at the bar before turning in, me probably won't consider the consequences.

Now how can we make the elephant leave? Rules certainly don't seem to phase it.
WRONG! The Scab pilot was recognized in a bar by an FAA Inspector who had given the Scab a line check. This was in an international location that was 12 hours or so ahead of Chicago Time. The scab was well known to management as. "Loyal Employee" so they hatched a plan to change the 24hr rule to 12 so with the time difference it made the offending scab pilot LEGAL to drink - that's how I remember from many years ago anyway.