Thread: New guy gear
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 09:30 AM
RogAir
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Originally Posted by Mink View Post
Shocked : another cheap-skate airline pilot unwilling to spend a few bucks on high-quality professional gear.

Be sure to fondle the throttles, yoke and anything else in the cockpit after you dig the latest edition of USA Today out of the airport trash. Your fellow crew members will thank you for bolstering their immune systems.

Back to the topic: DC Pro X is very light, good N/C, on-ear headset. DC just came out with One X, an over-ear headset that looks pretty nice, has good reviews.
Wait, what? How did I get labeled a cheap skate pilot? I never advocated against spending money on a headset. My position was don't do it in an effort to stay germ-free. Looking for increased comfort or sound quality? Spend away! But thinking your going to avoid germs in the cockpit...not a reason to invest.
Perhaps a new thread on germs might be appropriate after reading some of these posts. The whole topic creeps me out, but at least I try to see it honestly. A couple of "facts"? 1. The cockpit is full of germs and a sani-wipe down is pointless (but feels like it did something?) 2. Unless you wash your hands thoroughly for 5 minutes (like a surgeon might) post-****, you really aren't doing anything but societally-correct theater. 3. Let's not even start on where we spend 1/3 of our lives -- hotel rooms. (At least guys aren't leaving those kind of bodily functions in the cockpit!)
So yeah, all of the above creeps me out. But I'm not going to live a Howard Hughes lifestyle to avoid the skeevies. I've missed 3 trips in 18 years due to illness, and I've never touched a sani-wipe. To each his own....