Thread: FedEx Hiring
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 05:46 PM
auburnaviator
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by Vee1Rotate View Post
After flying with, and getting to know multiple newhires here, I believe I will start offering an "extracurricular," off company property class sometime during Basic Indoc. A few of the guys in some of the recent newhire classes, during after-hours social events, encouraged me to provide my "This is what those powerpoint briefings mean to you as a FedEx pilot" knowledge. We all know that there is a difference between data and information, and knowledge. Because the company has limited time during BI, the amount of data often far outweighs the amount of actual knowledge you get. An example is the disparity between the very important 4-hours of FAA-mandated training on Hazardous Materials vs. the minute and a half, maximum, of time we actually spend inspecting the loading of, and signing its simple paperwork during preflight. If you and your significant other are able to have a heads-up as to most of the aspects of being a FedEx employee and pilot before BI and IOE, you might be able to more quickly sift through all the data and get some understanding and knowledge you can use to better your life. This course would be the flip side to my friends in the pre-hire interview prep business. It has the potential to save you a huge amount of heartache and $. Many of you have already spent thousands of dollars getting here. I hope to be able to help you and your families make up far more than what you've spent through facilitating a comprehensive understanding of multiple areas of life as a FedEx pilot - from how not to fail bidding to the importance of the Contract (for those military converts), from vacation bank concerns to insight into healthcare vacillations, from suggestions on navigating Memphis' streets and unique political and social disposition to how being on Reserve works for you, and much, much more.
I hope to be able to offer this for newhires and their spouses starting with the next classes in September. Keep watching, and post if you are coming to class and might be interested.

-Vee1Rotate
Having just gone through BI I believe this will be a huge benefit to future new hires. BI is a great course but there is just so much company/faa required info that they are required to go through they miss the "how is this info going to apply to me".

Two perfect examples: bidding and healthcare/retirement

Bidding: BI just begins to scratch the surface (this is a bidpack, and this is what a line looks like etc. but no tricks of the trade i.e. Don't bid secondary lines on months when you have vacation etc...) If I didn't get a chance to sit down with a more experienced FedEx guy over beers one night I'd still be lost. (And I can still guarantee I'm going to screw it up the first couple times even after getting some gouge from him...)

Healthcare: This more plays to the military Tricare folks (like myself) who have never known anything but Tricare. The benefits folks came and talked for two hours but after that time and numerous questions I still feel like there's a ton of info I don't know and lots of other questions I never even thought of asking. (i.e.: you don't know what you don't know so how do you know what questions to ask?)

Bottom line, I think this will be an invaluable asset to all new hires and especially ones that have no former 121 experience.