View Single Post
Old 09-03-2016, 04:20 AM
Lambourne
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: B777 Capt

Originally Posted by Turbosina View Post
So tell me, since work rules and pay rates are all in place as you say, what's stopping mainline mgmt from bringing every single RJ to mainline? Hmm?

And tell me, which mainline pilot group voted down pay raises in order to prohibit RJs being flown by regionals? Which vote was that? I don't recall.
Why? Because guys like you are willing to do it for a few dollars less than mainline. We have tightened the scope language we have put the rates of pay in the contract. Until guys like you stop lining up to fly those shiny jets they won't move to mainline.

Where were you in the late 90's? At my carrier we were sold a contract by our ALPA leaders that had way too many holes in scope. ALPA and the company agreed that the RJ would be used to supplement NOT replace mainline flying. They were give. 1 for 1 block hours of mainline and an ALPA oversight committee to make sure it was all legal. At an airline that operates lots of 13 hour flights that created 13, 1 hour RJ flights for the very one of our long haul segments. As they pulled down 727 and 737-200 flying on one hour segments they were replaced by guys like you jumping at the chance to fly new jet at 1/4 of the cost of a mainline pilot. That was like giving crack to airline management. They loved the whole thing.

So the pilots saw what happened and it took us until the last contact to correct the scope language. The fix is in and the tide has slowly turned in our favor on scope.

You like to paint the major pilots as the bad guys. Unless you have been at a regional since the days of all turboprop Ops then you are a big part of the problem. You had a big hand in continuing the use of RJ's. If you had said I'm not going to do that job for that wage it wouldn't have been as useful to management to kill mainline flying. If you have been at a regional since the turboprop days then you either failed major interviews or sat on the sidelines while the largest hiring boon post 1978 took place. I agree the major pilots contracts allowed for the use of RJ's but not in the manner they were implemented. However, when you look in the mirror realize you are a part of the problem also.