View Single Post
Old 09-03-2016, 02:07 PM
155mm
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Originally Posted by 3212L View Post
Thanks for the input/advice 155mm as well as the link to Thomas Edison State. If all goes as planned, I'll be retiring from law enforcement in 8 years and I plan on making aviation my second career. While I am looking to check the box, I would like to feel like I learned something along the way.
With a year of general ed. and a private/instrument, I would spend my money on a commercial single engine and a CFI before sinking any money into an online degree! TESU will award up to 60 credits for your pilot ratings for $300. Other schools award generous college credit for pilot ratings as well. In the mean time knock out the ratings first then build the flight time as a CFI while attending online school and working in law enforcement.

I would also consider the associates degree immediately after your CFI since you should have over the 60 credits with your general ed and ratings. TESU offers an associate in aviation support. Many Airlines now say, "the Bachelor degree is preferred" or a "college degree preferred" instead of "required". I am not saying don't get the BS, I am simply saying get the associates first and then look at bachelor programs strategically. Meaning, not necessarily in aviation!

http://www.tesu.edu/ast/aas/Aviation-Support.cfm

Last edited by 155mm; 09-03-2016 at 02:18 PM.