Thread: Airline Pilot Experience Requirements again

iahflyr , 09-04-2016 06:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off
iahflyr
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Jan 2006
As someone who got on with a regional airline with far fewer than 1500 hours, I support the lowering the minimums to become a 121 first officer to a more reasonable level.

The truth is, if the FAA relaxed minimums to something like 750 hours, or even 250 hours, the pilot shortage would still be around. There are only so many pilots with 250 hours, and they would then have the option of flight instructing for a bit, or joining a regional airline, depending upon their values of QOL and pay. If flight schools had to compete for candidates with the regional airlines, their pay would have to go as there is a fundamental shortage of pilots. As that pay went up, regional airlines would still face a shortage of pilots or have to continue raising their pay to attract candidates.

The 1500 hour rule did not create the pilot shortage. The 1500 hour rule shifted the pilot shortage slightly, increasing the supply of CFI's, banner tow pilots, and the other 250-1500 hour jobs, while slightly decreasing the supply of pilots for regional airlines. The pilot shortage was created by a high amount of older major airline pilots retiring, and fewer commercial airline pilots being created despite a growth in the number of pilot jobs. Not from the 1500 hour rule.

Just look at what's happening to operators of 9, 19, and 30 seat turbo prop airplanes. Those airplanes are practically gone! Fuel is the cheapest it has been in over 10 years. These type of operations should be thriving and growing, but this regulation is killing jobs. Not just lower paying FO jobs, but higher paying Captain PIC turbine experience opportunities. All we are doing is shooting ourselves in the foot and losing more jobs by supporting this regulation.

The unintended consequence of the 1500 hour rule is that it brings even worse poverty level wages to pilots in the 250-1500 hour range. If you look at career earnings for a pilot, it just means more debt and hardship at the beginning of their careers. I do not support that.

Both the pilots from Colgan 3407 had more than 1500 hours. Nothing about this law would have prevented that crash. In fact, I would agree that regional airlines are hiring worse pilots after the rule came into effect. Now regional airlines will hire anyone with a pulse it seems. If the minimums were lower, the airline can select the best pilots, which only increases safety!

As someone who mentors a lot of young pilots, I cannot look them in the eye and say "Sorry, I want you to spend an extra year or two making true poverty wages and gaining practically zero relevant experience (single engine, VFR, slow, not even flying the airplane) because I'm selfish and I want a slight benefit at your expense." That sounds a lot like the major airline pilots who sold out on scope because it didn't effect them! I refuse to be in that same category.