View Single Post
Old 09-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Avroman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: FIRE ALPA

Originally Posted by AlphaFox View Post
Avroman has spent more time on APC talking and writing about how the SSP is worthless and whining about how flow was taken away from him years ago than he did preparing for his own interview. It's been wildly successful for those that prepared. Many ordinary but good guys would not have gotten a call in Delta's current hiring tier level, but were afforded the opportunity to interview because of the SSP, just as new guys will be able to with DGI. Those that prepared adequately by and far and large were successful. Sometimes it just doesn't seem to be so anymore if you only listen to crew room banter, as most of those that were successful are now gone, so you only get to hear from those that are left. And if you only listen to that, instead of looking at the data, you'll think nobody gets hired. Not true.

I too find it unfortunate when I hear about certain good guys that didn't get the job, but often I end up hearing they lacked in terms of spending enough time preparing. And the results would have been the same if they got it through an off the street interview. Except they likely wouldn't have gotten called for the OTS interview as apps get vetted and pulled when meeting tier criteria. It is over now, and those that did not put in for it or even attempt have zero excuse to whine about it.

Quit trying to belittle or take away from those successful in the process by likening it to a "coin toss". You singing that tune is getting old. And annoying. Also, Avroman, remember preaching to FOs at the company as well as APC about how "worthless" their FO CJOs were and how Delta won't honor them? Well, the first of about 250 FO CJOs head over this month. Hope you're not too disappointed with that.
I didn't say anything about FO CJO's being worthless, but those FO's moving along (mostly) won't help open up captain seats for the new FO's that need 2 years in those captain seats to get their interview chances.

I have no issue with anyone that got a CJO, good for them especially if Delta was their first choice, even better for those that used it to then quickly get hired by their first choice and leave for class right away rather than having to wait 18 months for a class date. As for the coin flip, well, yes ultimately the SSP has been pretty close to a coin flip in the % of job offers given.... this was not even close to what the company and ALPA sold us what the SSP would be during the bankruptcy. We were told we would have basically what PSA had, (a handshake, a coffee, and a class date) This clearly wasn't the case.
Do I think it was a major mistake to open up the program to FO's? Yes I do. Not because the FO's here didn't deserve an interview, but because it played right into Delta's hand to burn through the list as fast as possible leaving the maximum amount of pilots behind to keep Endeavor staffed (at least the 900's) for the foreseeable future. Not allowing the FO's in would have forced Delta to take more captains to meet the hiring minimums, opening up those seats for the FO's to upgrade and get their interviews (and opening up those seats for the current new hires down the road) instead it has largely clogged those seats with rejects who are ever more becoming lifers here. Take a poll of CR9 captains in DTW and MSP and tell me I'm wrong here.
As for me not being prepared, I went to the interview preps, I studied, I spent for a new suit and briefcase and electronic logbook printing. And at the end of the day was I crying when I didn't get my name called, nope. Was I ****ed that I was left to sit around for 20 minutes waiting to be told the obvious... Yup, but based on how I was talked to from the moment I stepped into the interview room, I wasn't shocked at all. I've talked to plenty of people with and without job offers and the treatment was starkly different right from the start for most. The yes group was like sitting around the campfire with a 6 pack with old buddies, the no group was basically crapped on from the moment they sat down. This tells me that the decks were stacked before showing up. The so called "luck of the draw panel"...Hell of a way to hire there guys
I didn't cry then, I'm not now, There are other fish in the pond (some I'd rather swim with anyway) and the trip to Atlanta has hopefully helped prepare me for when one of them calls for an interview. If not, Endeavor has turned into an OK place to be. Ok, it's been a long day, time to drop the mic and crack a beer.... Peace