Thread: VA disability
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Mink
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
Just for sh!ts and grins, I'd be interested in why "some people" went to jail for what you mentioned above. On the electronic medical application, you're asked to highlight either Yes or No to the question: "Medical disability benefits."

When I googled "FAA Medical disability benefits", this appeared: "The applicant must report any disability benefits received, regardless of source or amount. If the applicant checks yes on this item, the FAA may verify with other Federal Agencies (ie. Social Security Administration, Veteran's Affairs) whether the applicant is receiving a disability benefit that may present a conflict in issuing an FAA medical certificate. The Examiner must document the specifics and nature of the disability in findings in Item 60."

Assuming, for the sake of argument, that the applicant receives a VA disability, for something that's not disqualifying, I don't see where the problem is. However, if the issue involved is related to flying, and was not answered correctly on the application, then there's a problem. Just receiving a disability payment from the VA is in no way disqualifying.
According to urban legend, a pilot (or pilots) was claiming 100% disabled though Social Security and NOT disclosing it to the FAA (assuming the two entities would not "talk"). Not sure what the disability was, but the non-disclosure to the FAA was the problem. And it thus became a red-flag item for ALL disabilities for ever after.

I have a disability rating from the VA. Disclosed it on my FAA physical, my FAA doc sent in the supporting paperwork, have never been questioned and put "PRNC" on the form every time. So, yes, the situation you describe in your last para is accurate.