Old 09-07-2016, 12:23 PM
Otterbox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by Tester130 View Post
I tried to keep the thread title pretty broad as I think it could develop into a good resource for other helo bubbas in a similar position.
I’ve read through many of the regional forums and all the military ones and there is a lot of good information out there, but not in a central location for the helo guys looking to making the jump.
What advice would you give to a military helicopter pilot looking to make the transition?
Are there any rotor heads that have gone before willing to share their path and experience?
I’m a Navy H-60 driver with just shy of 2,500 logged hours. Civilian quals include SEL/MEL commercial/instrument, helicopter commercial/instrument/CFI/CFII. I’m looking to transition in the spring after I hit 20 years active. Fixed wing time is lower, but better than most rotors due to flying C-12s a little bit at a test tour. I think I have a reasonable chance of going to a regional and hopefully to a major within a couple of years there after.
I’ve seen advice on getting resume’s reviewed. Who have people used and how much of their services (resume review, interview prep, etc.)?
For log books, how did people transition them from the military to civilian? I need to clean mine up as a dog as literally tried to eat one of mine. Do most folks just do a straight copy into Log Ten Pro or a similar program and then print out a nice clean version, or do they make adjustments to account for FAA rules on flight time logging?
Any information or advice people are willing to contribute is greatly appreciated.
A good number of helo guys with C-12 experience are going the ISR route to build fixed wing time. Make sure your clearance is upto date and that's also an option for you.