View Single Post
Old 09-17-2016, 06:45 PM
leeaf7
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Default Housing options in Oahu..

hey folks, as my class date approaches i am doing a bit of planning and of course the biggest concern is the housing for my family. I have never lived in HI before and finding a decent place to rent in Hawaii I find it very challenging because like I said, I have never lived in HI and known absolutely no one from HI to ask questions. So here I am asking for your opinions.

Our family consists of my wife and I plus two little kids (one 2-yr old and a toddler). We are looking for a 2-bed apartment option with not too small in sqft but as I am searching the craigslist almost all 2-bed rents are over 2.5k a month unless a crappy one.. More affordable ones I find (we are looking for no more than 2k a month) are in Kapolei/Ewa areas but I've heard about the traffic nightmare; is it really that bad commuting to/from the airport?

My wife and I do enjoy some social outings time to time but we are not that outgoing and hate too much human traffic so we do not plan to go to town that often. Plus I have lived in a huge metropolitan city overseas so I am quite experienced with driving in traffic but over 1hr commute would be not so beneficial for gas cost etc..

My wife and I are also interested in renting an apartment in Pearl City/Mililani but again, I have no idea what are pros/cons living in those areas.. Any recommendation, thought, input? Thanks in advance.