View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 08:54 AM
Whoop
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by ALI G Mmmm View Post
I see with the commuter clause at C5 that as long as you list yourself on two flights to get you there in time you're fine. This is a huge reason why I choose C5 because I'll be commuting from MCO. Can someone go farther in-depth with this and explain it? For example, There is a 09:00 and a 14:00 flight MCO-IAD. So as long as I list myself on both of those am I safe?

Currently going through the ATP-CTP course.
Yes, as long as both of those flights get you to base prior to your report time, you are fine. During your first day in New Hire Class, among other paperwork, you'll fill out a form declaring yourself as a commuter.

Excerpts from the contract covering this section are below.

Purpose
This policy is intended to facilitate a commuting pilot’s ability to travel to duty and provide notice to the Company as soon as possible that a trip may require alternate coverage if circumstances prevent the pilot from reporting for duty as scheduled.

General
A pilot who wishes to utilize this commuter policy must register by notifying the Chief Pilot in writing on a form provided by the Company for that purpose. A pilot who has registered is a “commuting pilot.” A commuting pilot is expected to report for duty in a timely manner. The following provisions are not intended to relieve a pilot of that responsibility. A pilot who is unable to report for duty because of delays or cancellations related to unforeseen flight schedule disruptions or the unanticipated lack of non-revenue seats will notify Crew Scheduling as soon as possible and follow the requirements outlined below. If all of the below listed requirements are met, the pilot shall not be subject to any disciplinary action as a result of his inability to report on time nor will such commuting failure(s) be used to assess or support discipline in the future.

Listing for Travel
A pilot commuting to duty must be listed in an airline computer reservation system on flights that the commuting pilot plans to use to travel to duty. A pilot must list a primary flight and a back-up flight for travel that: have adequate seats available within twenty-four (24) hours of departure; have reasonable weather for the route of flight and at the arrival and departure airports; and are scheduled to arrive at the airport where he is assigned to commence his trip before he is scheduled to report for duty. A pilot may use jumpseat privileges for the primary and backup flight on which he is listed. If a pilot does not use a reservation system that is accessible to the Company, then he will provide documentation that he complied with the standards listed in paragraph J.3.a., above.

Travel Procedures
As soon as a commuting pilot becomes aware that he will not be able to report for duty as scheduled because of flight delays, cancellations or non-revenue seat availability, he will contact Crew Scheduling immediately and make every effort to report to the location where he was scheduled to begin his trip. With the mutual agreement of the pilot and Crew Scheduling, the pilot may report to an alternate location to pick up his trip.

Lodging for commuter pilots is addressed in Section 5.A.2 of this Agreement.