View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 08:04 AM
G550Guy
Banned

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: MD-11 FO

Originally Posted by Albief15 View Post
What made you feel "less sexy" at your Delta interview is actually an attractive trait to UPS.
I would agree with this. While I don't work for UPS, I certainly felt what you are saying during the interview and during the time I spent conversing with UPS pilots at OBAP.

When I spoke with the FedEx recruiter he asked if I had been in the military and I said yes... as the conversation progressed and he asked what I flew in the Army, I told him I was an enlisted helicopter mechanic and he acted as if I had lied to him. He then wrapped up the conversation with... "maybe you should consider becoming a check-airman or go into the training department to make your resume stand out more". And that was the end of me and FedEx.

UPS seemed to be impressed with my journey...

Yes I was an enlisted solider... who served in combat operations (Desert Storm), then was honorably discharged, put himself through college and graduated with honors, drove a truck at night for the Post Office so I could learn how to fly... then got a job working on the hanger floor of a freight hauler, built my time and worked my way up the ladder. For my present employer I am a OEM trained MX test pilot who is authorized to conduct Operational Check Flights on acft returning to service.

And I will be the first person to tell you I am not better than the next guy, I feel very fortunate and blessed my career has brought me this far. I remember peeling potatoes in the military, not launching off the USS Eisenhower thinking I was a total bad@ss. I have the great fortune to fly with some of the greatest pilots in this country... some flew C130's, some flew Caravans and Barons, and some flew helicopters. We all travel this journey through life with ideas and concepts that change as we age. I have become more humble and realize I have a life others will never be given.

~Wolf