Old 09-26-2016, 06:31 AM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by Skyone View Post
Routine maneuver? When, may I ask, was the last time you did a go-around AFTER touchdown? Not touchdown after performing the go-around. In your last several proficiency checks, did you practice this maneuver or touch and go's? In twenty years of flying the 777/767/757 at three different airlines, not once have I been required to perform a g/a AFTER touchdown....20 ft., yes, resulting in a touchdown.
July 2016......Jan 2016 before that......July 2015........Jan 2015...... and so on. We've been practicing bounded landing recoveries followed by a go-around at FedEx since 2009, especially in the MD-11. That training was adopted by the other fleets, so I regularly do it in the 777 recurrent training/proficiency checks as well. So.... yes, a routine maneuver. Maybe at some point in those 20 years, you could have suggested a change to the training? Do those airlines not solicit feedback on the training programs or have an method to allow changes to be suggested?

Secondly, you seem to have a lack of understanding of Dr. James Reason's Swiss Cheese model. A lot of negative training involved, also.
Of course I'm familiar with the swiss cheese model. While somewhat dated, that concept is still valid in helping to explain why a particular accident happened. It does very little in terms of accident prevention. I suggest you (and maybe your company) consider some of the more modern safety concepts being advanced by people like Dr. Tony Kern. In general terms, this is a focus on error control on an individual level rather than attempting to create systemic barriers to error that can still eventually result in lining up the holes.

I'm not defending or blaming the crew, only that factors involved in this event are not evident at first blush. And basic training for children of the magenta line is not there. Finally, an airline that at one time was contemplating that all landings on a certain type of 4 engine aircraft be autolands......well tell me that this isn't one more lined up hole in the Swiss cheese with regard to relying on only automation.
I suppose one of the "factors" involved that you refer to is that a professional 777 crew wasn't trained to push the power up (and make sure it stays there) for a go-around. Isn't that equivalent to training an NFL quarterback to throw a football or a Navy Seal to load his weapon? I guess there might be a problem with the hiring/screening process if a major international airline has to train their pilots to execute a basic, entry level skill like a go-around.

As long as airlines are going to allow various hiring practices that result in low-time, low-experience pilots flying modern airliners while mandating maximum use of automation, there will continue to be accidents. Creating "children of the magenta" and then having to go back and try to fix their shortcomings isn't a good plan.