View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 02:05 PM
AnotherWriter
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2016

Oh boy, can't wait to see where this thread goes.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion. I can speak to commuting as a guy in my early 20s with no wife and kids. I'm commuting to LGA from MSP and so far don't have a huge amounts of complaints. While on reserve I have all of NYC to explore, so its kind of let me live in two cities at once which is neat. The bad side: sometimes you lose a day off at the beginning or end of a trip because you have position yourself the day before, paying for a crashpad, having to pack for up to six days on the road. Now if I have approximately 10% more real commitments (kids etc.) then certain parts of this would be harder. Someone will indefinitely reply shortly saying commuting is about parallel to suicide and you should never do it. It is a matter of perspective and life circumstance.

At Endeavor we just need to give ourselves two options to get us to base before our show time. Call if you miss the first one and crew scheduling will decide if they want to positive space you on the next one. Multiple offenses of missing two result in some kind of mediation board. Never seen that actually happen though.

If you're going to commute, be smart about it. Doing Delta hub-Delta hub commutes is generally an awful idea. MSP-DTW and MSP-ATL are both nightmarish for example.