View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 03:50 AM
C-17 Driver
Abused Spouse of PBS

Joined APC: Jun 2006

ASU Bone pilot,

Nice thoughts. Here is a question I ask a lot of folks when they are looking to stay in or get out. Look around at your squadron/Ops Group and count the number of Lt Cols that you would consider good leaders and want as your formation lead. The usual answer is less than 5. I imagine it is the same at your base. Then I ask the same question and change it to what pilots on the reserve side would you consider a good leader and want as your wingman/formation lead. The answer is considerably different. What's my point you may ask? Most, not all, of what you would call 'bro's are getting out to the reserves/ANG to fly because active duty doesn't let pilots be pilots for 20 years. Before anyone gets upset, I am not making a generalization. There are still some great guys that are staying on and I wish them the best of luck, but IMHO, they are greatly outnumbered.

Case(s) in point:

1. The current wing/cc at a major C-17 base in the southeast, when he was a squadron commander back in 99-01, grounded his pilots when they put their separation papers in. Yep, boots on the ground. Riddler was around for this and he could shed more light on it.

2. Another squadron commander example. This Lt Col volunteered to deploy as he squadron was SHUTTING DOWN leaving some major decisions to be made by a relatively young D.O. Apparently, the deployment box needing to be checked was more important than taking care of the people when the squadron needed leadership about out of cycle assignments. Very unhappy people. BTW, this commander was a fast mover. He was trying to get jump orders for when he was deployed because he had not met his flying gates yet!!! Can you believe that, a flying Lt Col, in command of a squadron, not having met his gates yet! I know captains with more total time then he had.

This is just 2 examples in my small world. And of course, I can't stress enough that there are still some great leaders out there. My previous squadron commander at Altus was the best boss I have ever worked for. He refused to sign my separation papers until I told him what my plan was to take care of my family. He just wanted to make sure that I had thought it out. He is a great guy and an outstanding pilot. I wish the best of luck to him.