View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 01:58 PM
NotMrNiceGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015

Originally Posted by Archie Bunker View Post
That's because commuting to ANC stinks...and that's coming from a guy that did it for 8 years from SoCal.

If somebody chose to commute from SDF, at least they have more than one company flight a day to make it up there. From SoCal you have one company MD-11 that leaves at 2am for the non-stop to ANC. There's an IRO on that flight 4 days a week, so that leaves 4 available jumpseats per night...not counting company P3 jumpseaters (which there are usually 2 75/76 crew members in that capacity).

If you can't get on that seat, you're more than likely two legging it on Alaska Airlines through SEA or PDX. Getting to SEA or PDX usually isn't the problem. The SEA-ANC leg is the problem, especially in the summertime. You will find yourself and 20 of your best friends moving from gate to gate trying to hitch a ride up there.

The Alaska crews have always been great about their jumpseat. The majority of Capts will take 2 jumpseaters in the cockpit, even though it's extremely crowded and uncomfortable for everyone up there. I've only had a couple that would only take one in the cockpit, and I really don't blame them a bit.

In the 8 years I commuted up there, I was never late, or missed a sign in, but I had some close calls where I just barely made it up there in time.

That all being said, it's not all bad being based in ANC. IMHO, if you're on the 747-400, you're on the best aircraft flying the best trips. I ended up staying in ANC years longer than I had to because of the aircraft and trips. After 8 years, I had finally had enough of the commute, and decided to bid back to ONT. I miss the aircraft, the trips and the crews, but I don't miss the commute.

Nice post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk