Old 10-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Arctichicken
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016
Position: 737 tiller master

Originally Posted by Merle Dixon View Post
Good idea Albie. Alas, it is too little too late. I am a traditional reservist and IP at an AF SUPT base. I also fly for United. EVERY active-duty IP I know is leaving big blue as soon as possible for the airlines (MAF and CAF pilot alike).

The active duty folks are constantly picking our brains about the reserve/guard and our airline jobs. They stand gaped jawed when I explain that I am gone from home 12 to 13 nights a month for my airline job and I earn more than the wing commander.

They are sick of working perpetual 12-hour days and being coerced to fly weekends now and then. They despise the multitude of additional duties, queep, online training, don't be a rapist training, don't kill yourself training, DTS, and on and on and on. The active duty folks rarely smile and generally they all seem grumpy. Morale is low, very low.

They fully realize seniority is king and with United, Delta, American, FedEx and Southwest just starting their hiring booms - they are not going to hang out in the AF hoping things get better. They know things will not get better. Since 9/11 big blue has utterly abused the pilot force because the pilots had no where else to go. Well, dem chickens iz comin home to roost.

Word on the street is that the AF is going to increase maximum flight pay to $1,500 per month and raise ACP (aviator continuation pay) to $48,000 per year. It won't be enough. Big Blue is in big trouble.
Nothing new here. Since the early '90s, it has been this way. Nothing will change and the problem stems from above, waaaay above the chain. It's like a cancerous body without a soul. Bail out while the gettin' is good or suck it up.