Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Turbosina
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Guppy Gear Slinger

New nominee: The DL guy the other night landing on 28L at SFO who was advised by Tower while on final approach to "keep it rolling through the intersection, I've got two departures on the 1s."

(For those who are unfamiliar, 1L/R intersect with 28L/R at SFO. The 1s are typically used for departures while crossing traffic lands on the 28s. Anyone who's been to SFO before will realize that common courtesy dictates you let the airplane roll through the runway intersection, even if your gate might be in Terminals 1 or 2, necessitating a bit of a back-taxi on A or B in order to get to your gate. If you slowly roll through the intersection, you block departing traffic on both 1L and 1R, and usually both runways are in heavy use by departures.)

Anyhow, said DL pilot ground to a halt right in the middle of the 1L/ 28L intersection. He obviously wanted the shortest route to his gate, and the heck with anyone else. The exchange went like this:

Tower: "DL ___, I said keep it moving! You're blocking two departures!"

DL: "Well, we're going to the 50 gates right here." (He didn't want to add another couple hundred feet to his taxi.)

Tower: "I realize that sir but I told you to keep it rolling!"

DL: (Still immobile on the runway): "OK, stand by...what taxiway did you want us to exit on?"

Tower: "I don't care sir, just get off the runway and contact Ground on point eight...ahh, it's too late now. Skywest ___ and Virgin ___, sorry, gonna have to get you out after the next pair of arrivals. DL____, next time you land here, keep it rolling like I told you."

DL: "Ahhh... roger that." Finally he found the thrust levers and exited the intersection.

We sat there on 1L watching this in disbelief. I've never seen a 121 crew just stop smack in the middle of an active runway intersection like that. But I bet they had spiffy hats.