View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Archie Bunker
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Brown 747-400

Originally Posted by G550Guy View Post
Yes I was an enlisted solider... who served in combat operations (Desert Storm), then was honorably discharged, put himself through college and graduated with honors, drove a truck at night for the Post Office so I could learn how to fly... then got a job working on the hanger floor of a freight hauler, built my time and worked my way up the ladder. For my present employer I am a OEM trained MX test pilot who is authorized to conduct Operational Check Flights on acft returning to service.
As a current UPS pilot, and a former Delta guy, I can guarantee you that UPS absolutely loves this about you. Delta...maybe not so much. If you had thrown boxes for UPS at some point in this quest to become a pilot, you would be a hero to them. Starting at the bottom, and working your way up through the ranks is the UPS way. Just look at all the resumes of the senior management team there.

UPS couldn't understand why they weren't allowed to promote senior truck drivers into the pilot slots, and just train them accordingly when they started the "airline." This is the mentality you're dealing with at UPS. It's a trucking/logistics company run by box heads, it's not an airline.

I'd bet that you'll be getting a call very soon for a class date.