View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 01:03 AM
KoruPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Contract purgatory

If one looks at incidents, not just accidents, I think you will find that flight safety problems do in fact relate to experience. Really, who honestly thinks they do not relate?

Look at Jetsgo in Canada. A number of seriously scary incidents becasue of inexperienced crew. Luckily nobody died, but if they had kept going that may not be the case. This is from pilots in the airline by the way who thought they were in over their heads, but the job was going to be done by somebody. Nobody dead, no CNN, the public remains ignorant and the talking heads have their plausible data for thing's like cadet programs and MCL's. I have worked in flight safety lately and know there has been a rise in serious incidents in LCC's using cadets. Some are great, freaks of nature who can walk into it without the experience, but most just don't have the fundamentals they would have obtained flying bags. thing's like SOP's, ATC, FMC's and maintenance go only so far in keeping thing's safe, but adding another hole in the swiss cheese because it is economically justifiable is bad for us all.

With India and other places in Asia it is a matter of keeping the airplanes in the air, someone has to fly all those Boeing's and Bus's that they have ordered. Heck, some guy's even pay for the opportunity. How safe would the average passenger feel if they knew the driver had to pay for the job. I just wonder if we would have the argument, or the potential problem if this desire to have a billion seats flying around by rich guy's measuring size didn't exist.

On a different note, I really like India. The guy's that we have trained lately for a big operation in India are all well experienced jet pilots and very good drivers, so I wonder who is hiring all the low timers. I did get an email for a sub pay B777 job lately with a national Asian carrier, if I bought my own rating. I guess they didn't read the part of my CV that said I already fly the thing. Makes me wonder about how much attention they pay to who they hire period frankly.