dundem
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Oct 2006
  • Position
    L Side
Hey Koru,

I've read your posts for months now & you are one of the few consistently excellent posters on these boards. Thank-you.

That said, my only contention with this theme is that so far, the stats haven't backed up the theory about low-timers. The premise sounds fine on paper, but has yet to play out in the real-world. I don't doubt that there has been many a close call with low-experience types, but without systemwide data that shows data for everyone I won't be convinced.

How many times have we flown with high-experience captains that are just so complacent that they are sloppy and borderline dangerous? I know it's happened to me at least as often as a green captain being a little behind the aircraft. There is danger on both extremes of the experience curve and it is acutely individual specific.

More important factors in safety are the quality of the applicant, the depth of training provided, the experience in the left seat and the companies' culture. I'll sit behind a 350 hr BA, LH, etc. F/O anyday with my family.