View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 07:38 AM
jbizon
IflyApanes

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Former Air Ambulance, Flt Inst, Check Airman, Current CRJ CA

Originally Posted by A321gal View Post
So I've been looking at both Endeavor and Envoy, the latter of which was the more appealing because of the CFI program they have to build you up hours while officially being considered an employee (as well as I thought that the E175 might be easier for a taller pilot since I can't actually stand up up an ERJ or CRJ cabin, but the opposite actually seems to be true,) but after reading some people's opinions, it's often better to "go it alone," and I'd be inclined to agree. The last time I took a major trip, for example (also the only time in the last 5 years I've flown and it hasn't been Delta,) I did it as a tour group for a class trip. Terrible management of the whole process, the itinerary was so micromanaged that you couldn't even have an extra 5 minutes to stop for a snack if you were hungry. So I tend to know going it alone, planning my own route can be better. I'd have no idea where AA would stick me, could be some crud academy where I get like 40 hours a month. I've been told there's a number of places I could teach for over 100 hours a month, in probably cheaper locales. And I'd actually prefer flying for Delta than American, I think I'm shifting Endeavor back to my number one choice.

One concern still remains; as far as I know, the AA WOs and their flow problem require no additional interview; you're picked when your number is called. No degree required. Endeavor does require an additional interview to flow. Would th lack of a bachelor's degree prevent me from flowing? Would it make it significantly more difficult? I'm almost finished with an associate's degree, and while I do intend to complete it, I don't intend to spend the extra time and money on a bach if it isn't required.
If it is required, does Endeavor have any sort of program that allows you to take classes online and helps you pay for them via reimbursment/scholarship or whatnot?

Also curious on cost of living in base. NYC is ridiculous but I know if you look at the right ppace and can get squeezed into basically a closet you can find a cement deal. DTW I think is kinda cheap but I don't know. How exactly. MSP I've no idea, it's been so long since I've been there for non-layover purposes (like 15+ years...) Are housing prices in DTW and MSP anything like DFW? I looked at DFW just for fun and found some really quite nice places in decent areas, all less than 45 minute drive even in rush hour traffic to DFW (and they're all 25-30 miles away... I live in Boston, it takes you at least an hour to go 15 miles during rush hour. Took me 2 hours once to get that 15 miles to aclass once. Utterly insane. I hate driving,) all in the $500-600 range. Anything comparable in DTW or MSP?
I understand why you would want to live in base, but have you considered living nearby with a short flight to base? Example: Endeavor has the DTW base, if you lived in Grand Rapids it's a 30 minute flight direct to the airport. and cost of living is ridiculously cheap. Just food for thought. You might spend more time in traffic than that if you live in base.