View Single Post
Old 10-17-2016, 07:50 PM
PotatoChip
Layover Master

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Seated

Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
I usually find myself sitting in the cockpit and at some point I get pretty bored...ie staring out the window and I kind of want to get out of the cockpit and do something else but I'm "trapped" inside because I'm up in the air.

I'm also at a point where I can't stand my healthcare job anymore. I work with the same people every single day in the same small confined environment, deal with arrogant doctors (which is very discouraging), and am treated like i'm expendable by the administration. I am getting frustrated with this every day because I know i'm not the kind of person cut out for this type of job lifestyle and I think about how great it would be to be in the cockpit with another professional where we are equals and for the most part are away from the BS. The thought of that is really really appealing right about now.

I know there is no easy answer here but if you guys were me would you pull the trigger and make the career change?
The grass ain't any greener....

Personally, I think you'll hate this career. All we do is stare out the window 85% of the time (or read USA Today, hard-hitting journalism). You think pilots aren't arrogant? How does working beside a captain 10 years younger than you sound?? Captains and first officers are not equals, regardless of what anyone says. Yeah, we like to pretend we're close... but ultimately, they're not. The 40% difference in pay should make that clear. There are plenty of much more capable first officers than their captains, but I digress... You'll find some captains who make this very clear to you.

And you'll never be away from the BS. Ever.