Old 10-21-2016, 03:40 PM
Bigapplepilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2012

Originally Posted by gringo View Post
I think driverless cars will be the predictor of our fate. Once 51% of the population gets to the point where they don't think twice about entering a car with nobody sitting at the wheel, it'll all be downhill from there.

And driverless Ubers are already plying the streets even as I type this right now.

You and I might not like it, but by the time he hits my age my 5 year old boy won't know any other reality...

Remember the elevator operator? Of course not. Our kids will be marveling at the fact that way way back there were actually human beings piloting aircraft...
Yes but you need to watch the video 'Humans need not apply.'(posted a couple pages back). I believe future kids will see the day come when the concept of a 'career' went away just like the Elevator Operator. The Economist and Newsweek recently had articles about robotic surgeons. Look up IBMs Watson and medical diagnostics. Computers look up case precedent faster than a human lawyer.

Computers and robotics get smarter and faster. At a faster rate(not linear). It may reach a point called The Singularity. And not only this, but they are connected to the Internet.

Saw an article called 'The End of Work.' I've heard of serious debates about Universal Basic Income.

Saying the past shows that technology creates new jobs therefore that must always be the case is a bad assumption. Technology is a game changer and I believe that historical paradigm has run its course. Especially now that computers are getting smarter than people.

That's why it's not just pilots.