View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 06:11 PM
XtremeF150
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: M88B

Well, let me give you some advice....since I pretty much did what you are thinking about doing. The difference is most of my KA flying was instruction. The job was great and the benifits of a good employer were without a doubt unmatched by either of the 2 airlines I have worked for since. I made as much as many 50 seat CA' s do their first couple years. However, every good thing must come to an end right. The job vaporized and I had about 30 - 40 days to find work. I thought this would be easy with a 4 year degree and over 3000TT and about 1300 T-pic in the KA. I applied at every airline I could. I only recieved interview calls from 2. Both were regionals. (This was a few years ago when jobs weren't as easy to find.)

In the end, the only thing I really managed to do was get a B-190 CA job with all that KA time. There weren't any more KA jobs where I lived and I couldn't commute for a corporate job, so my wife and I decided I should take the CA job and try and get some 121 PIC and see if it made a difference. So I took a street CA job with Air Midwest....Long story short, after 1.5 years and about 700 hours 121 PIC in the B-190 I still couldn't get a decent interview. Sure some airlines with larger a/c started calling, but after a year of commuting on crap schedules I don't want that anymore.

A good corporate job is golden...In my opinion more so than any airline job, although MUCH harder to find. The thought most ppl have today though is that as soon as they hit 1000 T-pic, FedEx, UPS, SWA, NWA, DAL, CAL, and UAL are going to have a bidding war to see who claims them. Truth be told, 10,000 hours of T-pic aren't going to get you a major job today without a few internal recs. So the real question has to be do you want to work corporate or start fighting it out with the rest of us in the world of mass transit.

Good luck either way, you going to need it for decisions like that.