Thread: Ameriflight
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2016, 08:31 AM
sobo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by Gapilot View Post
Wondering are you an CA or FO on the E120? How many people do they have on the E120 for the PDX? I understand they have a good size pool for the FO right now. I am trying to figure if I should put a app in and see if it worth my time to get the FO spot because I know I might not get the PDX or BFI but wonder if it possible to commute out to the base they assigned to? Right now I am saving money up to get my CFI so that I can keep my flying skill up and help the next future pilots. How many hours do you put in for flying time a month? Thanks for taking the time to give us new Pilots information on the job
FO.

We have two FO for the one E120 in PDX, it rounds out to about 20 hours flying a month which is awful.

BFI has two E120s, and they're trying to staff 3 FO's. Which is about 30 hours per month. You also have no income tax, so I highly suggest going for the BFI run. Because AMF does over 50% of their flying in one state you are bound to pay the income tax of your domicile, which for PDX is ALOT. My monthly income is $1990.50 after taxes.

Ameriflight is pretty much live where you are based and you will work M-F every week. If you are not flying you have show reserve which is 5 hours regardless if your plane is gone or not. Both BFI and PDX have ludicrous cost of living expenses. After basic monthly bills I have about $300 to my name, and I have no car payment or student loans.

It's not quite the dream job you'd expect it to be. You basically work to live and not much more. However, the CRM and two crew experience in the Brasilia I think will go a long way if you are trying for the airlines in the future. I really like flying the e120, it's a much different type of flying than in the GA world and it's a pretty good challenge to fly which I think is fun. I have about 60-70 hours in the type now.

As far as resume wise or the race to 1500 hours wise, there are better jobs to be had.