View Single Post
Old 10-28-2016, 05:29 PM
TheWeatherman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
I have been exploring training options as well. I am also former military with GI Bill benefits.
The reason being is that the VA limits the type of training you can do to Part 141 approved schools, caps how many hours you can log in training to the bare minimum (hence most will end up paying out of pocket to complete the practical number of hours required to obtain certification - possibly thousands of dollars), and also limits you to single engine only training.

Absolutely not true, actually most of what is in your post above is not accurate but I don't want to write a book to respond to a book. Yes, you are restricted by the number of hours provided in the course, but this is often more then enough to complete your rating. For example, for my Instrument and Commercial ratings, both SE and ME, I felt I was ready for my checkrides long before I was finished with the course, but was "forced" to fly more hours to complete the Part 141 course before I could take it. Of course I didn't mind because I would take all the house I could get. I did not know one person who had to pay any significant cost overruns for extra training, especially not to the tune of $35,000. Have no idea how you came up with that number.

Where did you find that the GI Bill only covers SE training? The GI Bill got me my MEL, ME Instrument, ME Commercial, and MEI. As a matter of fact I have 57 hours total time in a ME all paid for by the GI Bill.

As far as Yellow Ribbon, the fees are not limited by that. There has been talk about the VA putting a stop to it due to abuse from he Helicopter programs, but that has not happened as of today. There is also a Bill in Congress that may limit what you can get, but that is still in committee. But as of right now, and has been the case for the last few year, you can get your ratings with the GI Bill if you do it in pursuit of a degree.