View Single Post
Old 10-29-2016, 01:39 PM
tunes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011

Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
yeah, AFRC is AD lite these days. Also very difficult to find non-TFI (aka stand-alone aka non-associate) units anymore in the AFRC. The aggregate requirements for basic currency seem to be the highest on the fighter units. A lot of the heavies have requirements that can be knocked out in the sim and thus they can pull the sub-5 day a month participation average.

6-8 days of average participation is where we sit on our UPT trainer units, so it's really not out of the realm for a fighter unit to expect 8. On the high end, but not really surprising to me. Do recognize some units allow for quarterly average in lieu of hard monthly average. So you can bundle your way into an average that doesn't physically require the amount of commuting that would otherwise be required to meet said monthly average if you had to commute every month.

In the end it all depends on what stage in life you are regarding your mil/civ transition and what are the geographic particulars of your household. It would be sincerely uphill to fill all the fighter beans on less than 5 days.
i average 2-3 days a month and a 7-10 day trip every 6 months in my heavy reserve unit.