View Single Post
Old 10-29-2016, 07:25 PM
Otterbox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by jpdfly View Post
Good day all, long time lurker, first time poster. I've done a search around, and can't find much on it, so figure I'll post here and see what I can find out. Currently a C-12 pilot for the Army, and am at a point where I have to decide soon to continue for another two years for the Army, still flying, or play my cards and attempt to get hired by the airlines. I know I'd probably have no problem going to a regional, but I'm specifically wondering if anyone here would know what is competitive for military pilots going to the majors out there. I'm currently at 1,850 hours, approximately 750 of which is C-12 time, 700 is military helo time, and the rest civilian time in various piston aircraft. I anticipate getting another 250-300 hours or so in the next 4-5 months, and am looking at transitioning summer of 2016. I have my ATP, no restrictions, first class medical, and am a Unit Trainer and soon to be IP for the C-12. If unable to make the transition, my next chance won't be until summer of 2019, with more flight time behind me obviously...does anyone think that if I wait until then (if it comes down to it) I would be hurting my chances of getting in while the going is good? Thanks, and appreciate any advice or critiques you may have.
If you're in retirement range that's something to consider. If you want to build more C-12 time while you apply directly to the majors, look at the ISR contractors- more money, more time off, way less bull**** to deal with than being an active duty guy flying the same platform. you'll definitely get hired on at one with the hours you're posting.

If you're not close to an AD retirement staying in doesn't really buy you anything. I'd apply to the majors now, and have an ISR contractor and a regional or two in your back pocket if you don't get hired. Have a talk with the family if you're married about which avenue supports your lifestyle the best.