View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 06:27 AM
flyviper
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by Antoine137 View Post
Hello everyone. Yes, this my first post, but I have been a long time lurker on the site. This will be a long post, so for those of you who are willing to stick with it and provide guidance or advice, I appreciate it. Since I have viewed the site a lot, I am aware of a couple of things right up front. I have already read the many pages of Endeavor's and Envoy's current states. I have done as much research as I can. I need perspectives from people who have "been there" or who are "living it". Hindsight is 20/20, and I know no one can predict the future, but if you seek counsel and go in knowing as much as you can, usually things turn out. So....

I live in Muskegon, MI (KMKG), and I have my ATP. I have DTW (3.5 hr drive), ORD (3.5 hr drive), and GRR (1 hr drive) near me. I also have friends and a place I could stay in DFW. I love Michigan in the summer and Texas in the winter. I would rather not be in NYC, but I guess both airlines are sending people there. I have three checkride failures (CFI).

Ideally, I would eventually like to be based in ORD or DTW, but I wouldn't mind DFW for training and sitting reserve. I would need a crashpad for ORD, DTW, or NYC reserve.

Endeavor:
Pros
My buddy works for them and says they are a great group of people to work with
Top pay now
Cons
I may never get to a major with my checkride failures
Retention bonus could go away

Envoy:
Pros
DFW would be best for reserve. No crashpad, no commute.
Flow to AA
Travel benefits
Cons
Reserve seems pretty long
People (on this site) seem like they hate their schedules/lines
Pay drop 2nd year
Could the flow go away?

On a related note, I have a training contract for $8,300 which is up in 5 months. Is it worth it to pay that money back and get ahead in seniority or should I wait?

Thank you for making it this far. I know ultimately I have to make the decision, but any insight is fully appreciated.
With 3 checkride failures, I would choose an airline with a flow program if they choose to hire you. While it's not impossible to get an interview with the Major someday with your 3 failures, you certainty have a steeper mountain to climb than other. Good Luck.

Last edited by flyviper; 11-02-2016 at 06:29 AM. Reason: spelling