View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 04:29 PM
whalesurfer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by davecpt View Post
Typically (depending on base etc,) what kind of schedules can a new hire expect? Week on, week off, two weeks on, two weeks off? And is there a chance for a dreaded four weeks on due to change in months?
It's all based on the fleet and domicile he/she would get. Just talked to a "new hire" who's on the MD (off probation by now). He said he typically gets base-trip lines or reserve lines. He lives in Tennessee but near the Kentucky border so he said reserve wasn't really that bad and base trip lines reminded him of pax airline schedules, 4 on 3 off, 2 on 3 off, etc., etc. If you live near your domicile you might actually find the "junior" schedules ok, not great but ok.
As far as your last question - in 11+ years here it only happened to me once and I could've avoided it but needed specific days off. The dreaded 4-weeks on was followed up by the much appreciated 4-weeks off - and I wasn't even using my vacation..

There's definitely a huge difference between international and domestic trips. Several guys who left ANC 74 and MD fleets are now contemplating bidding back to Anchorage.
It's much easier to go from 75/76 or Airbus to MD or 74 than the other way around. Once you've gotten used to flying just one leg, admittedly a very looong leg, a day it's hard to go back to a domestic fleet.. I'm glad we have many different choices..