View Single Post
Old 11-15-2016, 06:28 PM
seminolepilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Originally Posted by mooney View Post
Judgement, time managent, prioritizing, decision making, finding things in the QRH or what to call for, etc.
I'm not perfect but it seems like these should come with time in the right seat before hitting upgrade if you're flying with good captains. Most guys I fly with tell me to start the second one when you're ready or start both if you need to so the workload isn't overwhelming. I haven't had any complaints with that so far. I also watch for when captains call for checklist. As far as decision making I've been fortunate enough to fly with guys that ask for my input and if for some reason he has a different decision I honor it if it's safe. He/she always explains why they made that decision which helps. I ask to see the MM01 if it's not in the middle as well as writing stuff up if something breaks. I've gotten funny looks on that. It seems that not a lot of FO's think about the MM01 log. I don't do it because I like extra work or don't trust the captain but I rather get familiar with it now rather than waiting for upgrade to start learning some of these things. I haven't made it to the left seat and I know there's definitely more to being a captain than those few things but there seems to be a lot of experienced guys to learn from on the line before getting to upgrade.